To say it has been a busy year would be a huge understatement.
Stepping into this new position has been a privilege, and there certainly has been a lot to learn in a short amount of time. Most importantly, it’s been an honor to serve the Penfield community and lead an incredibly dedicated group of Town staff members.
I extend my deepest thanks to the Town Board, Town staff and the Penfield community for your support following my announcement that I would be taking a leave of absence to care for my dad (and mom). Your well-wishes remind me why I fell in love with this community when I relocated here 22 years ago.
As I look back on this year, I can appreciate just how much has been accomplished. A few accomplishments include:
- Reduced tax rate and tax levy for 2023
- Passage of tax exemption for first responders
- Continued improvements to Shadow Pines, including formal dedication of the property
- Creation of Penfield Heroes Wall
- Reopening of the Town Hall reception area
- Continuing to beautify our Four Corners area (and we have holiday decorations this year!)
- Re-establishment of Parks and Recreation Advisory Board
- Expanded services for 2023
- Expanded brush drop-off services
- Evening staffing at Penfield Community Center
- Dedicated staffing at Town Hall reception area
- Added sustainability engineer to Town staff
- Enhanced communications
- Over $425,000 in grants received
Looking ahead to 2023, we have two priorities. The first is to complete the Town’s Comprehensive Plan. This was put off in 2020 due to the pandemic and administration changes, but it is vital that this document be completed with assistance from the community.
The second is to develop a long-term facilities plan for the Town of Penfield. Many of our facilities, including the Department of Public Works, Community Center, and Public Library, were built to serve a population of approximately 30,000 (Penfield is now at roughly 40,000 residents and continuing to grow). We are at the point where we must enhance our facilities to make sure we continue to meet the needs of our growing community. More information on this topic will be shared in the coming months.
I look forward to another great year, and please feel free to reach out to the Supervisor’s Office should you have any questions or concerns.
From my family to yours, I would like to wish you a very happy new year!
Marie Cinti, Town Supervisor