On Thursday, June 22, 2023 at 11:30AM, the Penfield Courts will be CLOSED for the rest of the day.
The Penfield Town Court resolves more than 6,000 cases per year consisting primarily of criminal matters, vehicle and traffic violations, civil proceedings, and small claims.
Court personnel includes two judges, two full-time clerks, and one part-time clerk.
Penfield Town Court Justices:
- The Honorable Paula C. Metzler
- The Honorable James P. Mulley, Jr.
Arraignments for criminal and traffic/vehicle court:
- The Honorable Paula C. Metzler presides the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month
- The Honorable James P. Mulley, Jr. presides the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of the month
Please call the Court Clerk for dates and times for evictions, civil, and other matters.
Town Justices officiate marriages by appointment. Please call the Court Clerk for more information.
Marriage licenses are available through the Town Clerk’s Office (585) 340-8629.
Small Claims Court is an informal court where individuals ages 18 and older can bring a civil complaint for monetary damages up to $3,000. A lawyer is not required to file a small claims case. To bring a small claims case in Penfield, the defendant (person being sued) must live, work, or have a place of business within the municipality of Penfield.
NOTE: Corporations, partnerships, associations, and assignees cannot sue in small claims court, although they can be sued there.
- $10 for claims up to $1,000
- $15 for claims over $1,000 to a maximum of $3,000
Fees must be paid in person using cash, money order, or credit card (MasterCard or Visa).
Filing must be done in person during regular business hours.
You will need to provide a brief written description of your complaint, the address of the defendant, and pay the filing fee. A Court Clerk will assist you with the necessary procedures, set a hearing date, and serve the defendant by mail.
Learn more: Small Claims Handbook: www.nycourts.gov/courthelp/pdfs/smallclaimshandbook.pdf
- Fines may be paid with cash, credit cards, money orders, certified bank checks, or attorney checks (made payable to Penfield Town Court). Personal checks are NOT accepted.
- Credit cards (Visa or MasterCard) may be used in person or online (the Court does not accept credit card payments by phone).
- When a credit card is used in person, a 2.99% service fee is added to all payments. Please note that neither the Court nor the municipality receives any portion of the service fee.
- To use a credit card online use the appropriate link to GovPayNet below. A convenience fee will be added to all payments.
- You must know the name of the Judge who was assigned to your case and the amount due. Please call the Court Clerk if you do not know this information.
- To pay a fine under Paula C. Metzler use Pay Location Code #9536 – www.govpaynow.com/gps/user/plc/9536
- To pay a fine under Judge Mulley, Jr., use Pay Location Code #9537 – www.govpaynow.com/gps/user/plc/9537
Please contact the Court Clerk if you would like to arrange a payment plan.
Clerk to the Honorable Paula C. Metzler: Clerk to the Honorable James. P. Mulley, Jr.:
Regular office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM. (The office may be closed from 1:00 to 2:00 PM for the lunch hour.) Please note these hours may vary on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings when Court is in session.
Please call the Court Clerk if you have questions regarding your court date and time.