The Historic Preservation Board (HPB) designates Penfield landmarks and oversees Historic Preservation Districts.
The seven-member HPB meets on the first Thursday of each month in the town hall auditorium unless otherwise posted on the Town website.
Town Board Liaison: Linda Kohl
Board members serve five-year terms (January 1 through December 31)
Historic Preservation Board:
|Thomas J. Combs (CHAIR)||Term: 2019-23|
|Donald Crumb, Jr.||Term: 2022-26|
|Charles Fox||Term: 2022-26|
|Stephen Golding||Term: 2021-25|
|Mira Mejibovsky||Term: 2021-25|
|Michael Pignato||Term: 2019-23|
|OPEN SEAT||Term: 2023|
Jeff S. Crane Award
The Historical Preservation Ordinance of the Town of Penfield was adopted by the Town Board on September 4, 1973. The Historic Preservation Board was formed to provide an implementation of the Ordinance. The Purpose of the Ordinance is to preserve the historical and architectural character of designated structures or districts within the town; to prevent the impairment of or injury to their historical, architectural, and cultural value to the community. The Ordinance requires that the owner(s) of a designated landmark or property within a historic preservation district must have a Certificate of Appropriateness from the Historic Preservation Board before any exterior changes are made to the building. Interior changes do not require action by the board.
Permitted actions that do not require a Certificate of Appropriateness:
- ordinary maintenance
- repair of any exterior architectural feature of a landmark or property in a district that does not involve a change in design, material, or outward appearance
Actions that do require a Certificate of Appropriateness:
- exterior alterations
- new construction
- moving structures
- any material change in the exterior appearance such as windows, shutters, light fixtures, signs, sidewalks, fences, steps, paving, changes in grade, change in exterior colors, change in siding material
Application for a Certificate of Appropriateness or contact the Developmental Services Office at (585) 340-8642
Penfield has three Historic Preservation Districts that include:
- First District - 1872, 1874, 1876, and 1880 Blossom Road
- Second District- 1862-1895 Penfield Road
- Third District - 1931-2212 Five Mile Line Road
Jeffrey S. Crane AwardThe Historic Preservation Board established the annual award in 2007 in honor of Jeffrey S. Crane (1961-2006) to recognize individuals who have cared for Penfield’s past through the preservation of a structure of historic significance. Jeff Crane was the owner of Mark’s Pizzeria in Penfield and champion of preserving the historic character of the Four Corners district.
Jeff and his brother Mark were responsible for the significant restoration of Penfield’s original Methodist church at 2106 Five Mile Line Road. Together, the Crane brothers restored the bell tower, renovated the building's interior and exterior, installed parking, landscaped the grounds, and worked to secure easements from several property owners along Five Mile Line Road to provide for on-street parking on both sides of the road. The Cranes were also involved in several other restoration projects in the Four Corners before Jeff’s death in 2006. Mark and Jeff Crane were recognized as the first recipients of this award in 2007.
|2007||Jeffrey S. and Mark S. Crane|
|2008||Mark B. Feldman, D.D.S.|
|2009||Ben Kendig and Bob Lindsay|
|2010||Ray and Erika Hutch and Kristina Hutch Matthews|
|2011||Bill and DoDo Centner|
|2012||Roy and Barbara Wasson|
|2013||Ron and Joyce Baroody|
|2014||Tony and Sam DiPrima|
|2015||Ben Kendig and Bob Lindsay|
|2016||Steve and Stefanie Wilkinson|
|2020||Ron and Joyce Baroody|