Marriage License

Marriage License and Records

The Penfield Town Clerk’s Office is an issuing agent for marriage licenses for the New York State Department of Health. Applications for marriage licenses must be made in person—by appointment—with the Town Clerk’s office. To schedule an appointment please review the following details and requirements, then call 340-8628 when you have all necessary documents.

After a marriage license is issued, it may be used in the state of New York after 24 hours and is valid for 60 days.

The fee* is $50.00 ($40.00 marriage license + $10.00 certified copy of license) payable by cash, check or credit card. If paying by credit card, there is an additional bank fee. Make checks payable to “Town of Penfield.”

*New York State and the Town of Penfield waive the fee for marriage licenses and certificates for active duty members of the armed forces.

How to Obtain a Marriage License in the Town of Penfield

Both applicants must:

Be present

Provide social security numbers

Show proof of identity with current names (acceptable ID: A photo driver’s license, a DMV-issued photo non-driver’s I.D., a valid passport, an employee picture ID, original naturalization papers, or military photo I.D.)

Provide proof of birth/age (acceptable ID: birth certificate* certificate of registration of birth cannot be used), baptismal certificate or elementary school transcript. If not in English, original documents AND original certified professional translation documents must be provided.)

* Residents born in Monroe County may obtain a birth certificate at the Monroe County Health Department, Bureau of Vital Statistics, 740 E. Henrietta Road, Rochester, New York 14623, (585) 753-5141.

REQUEST for Marriage Transcript Request and/or Certified Copy of a Marriage License
click here

Marriage Officiants

In the Town of Penfield, marriage ceremonies are typically performed by clergy, a town justice, or the Town Marriage Officer (Town Clerk).

Previous Marriages and Divorces

Widowed applicants must present the Death Certificate of the deceased spouse.

A divorced applicant must present a stamped final divorce decree showing the file date.

Applicants with multiple divorces must present stamped final divorce decrees for each divorce.