Permit Process Overview
|Step||You and/or Contractor Task(s)||Town Task(s)|
- This collection of applications, permits, and forms is provided for your convenience.
- Check with the applicable department(s) to ensure proper documentation as some forms and applications are subject to change.
- Choose a dropdown menu or search by keyword.
The Document Center provides easy access to public documents. Click on one of the categories below to see related documents or use the search function.
Documents sorted by SEQ in Ascending Order within category
Agriculture Use1 document
- Agricultural Data Statement Form In accordance with Section 283-a. of the Town Law, the Town of Penfield will use the data in this statement to assist in evaluating the impacts of proposed development projects on farm operations in Agricultural Use Districts.
- Application - Change of Address / Name (only owners may make change requests) – Attach copy of Power of Attorney if required.
- Application - Enhanced STAR exemption (RP-425E) For residents who currently have the Basic STAR exemption and are eligible for the Enhanced STAR and will be 65 years of age as of December 31, 2021. If the property is owned by a married couple or siblings, at least one of the spouses or siblings must be 65 years of age as of December 31, 2021.
- Application - Supplement to Form RP-425-E (Mandatory) (RP-425-IVP) To apply for the Enhanced STAR exemption, submit this application and Form RP-425-E, Application for the Enhanced STAR Exemption to your assessor.
- Information: Exemptions All owners must be at least 65 years of age as of December 31, 2021, or, if the property is owned by a husband and wife or by siblings, at least one of the spouses or siblings must be at least 65 years of age as of December 31, 2021.
- Application - Partial Tax Exemption for Real Property of Senior Citizens (RP-467) Available for primary residences of property owners age 65 or older with a maximum gross income of less than $37,400. Discounts apply to school, town, and county taxes. Must be renewed annually.
- Application - Alternative American Veteran Real Property Tax (Form RP-458-a) New York State Department of Taxation and Finance Office of Real Property Tax Services for alternative veterans exemption from real property taxation. Must be an honorably discharged american veteran who actively served during a time of conflict.
- Application - Cold War Armed Force Veterans (RP-458-b) Must have served on active duty (exclusive of training) for at least one year in the United States armed forces between September 2, 1945, and December 26, 1991. Must have been honorably discharged and been awarded the Cold War Recognition Certificate.
- Application - Persons with Disabilities and Limited Incomes (RP-459-c)Partial exemption for persons with disabilities and limited incomes. Must meet definition of disabled person. Similar to Senior Citizen exemption.
- Application - Agricultural Assessment (RP-305) For properties that are actively farmed. Must be seven acres or more and produce an average of $10,000 in gross sales of agricultural products for the last two years. Exemption applies only to land assessment and is value-based on soil type. There is a rollback penalty if converted for development.
- Application - Agricultural Written Lease Affidavit for Rented Land (RP-305-c) Agricultural land which has been used as a single operation for the production of crops, livestock, or livestock products during the preceding two years but whose production does not independently satisfy the average gross sales requirement of Agriculture and Markets Law Article 25AA may nevertheless qualify for an agricultural assessment if the land is rented to another party for a minimum of five years for use in conjunction with other land which qualifies for an agricultural assessment.
- Application - Agricultural Assessment Renewal Certification The landowner may use Form RP-305-r to renew an application for an agricultural assessment on parcels for the current year's assessment roll if the last initial application (Form RP-305) filed for the parcels was approved and the conditions which determine the parcels' eligibility have not changed.
Real Property Assessment3 documents
- Info Sheet - Board of Assessment Review Requirements (Non-Residential) The Board of Assessment Review deems information as necessary to properly review a complaint. additional information should accompany the grievance form and should be filed on or before Grievance Day.
- Application - Complaint on Real Property Assessment Form (RP-524). Any person aggrieved by an assessment (e.g., an owner, purchaser or tenant who is required to pay the taxes pursuant to a lease or written agreement) may file a complain.* You may complete the complaint yourself or your representative or attorney may complete it for you.
- Info Sheet - RP524 Complaints on Real Property Assessments
Building Design and Construction13 documents
- Info Sheet - Basements Finished Building Permits Required for the conversion of any non-habitable (unfinished basement) into habitable space. This includes, but not limited to; playrooms, bedrooms, recreation rooms, home offices, etc...
Building Permit Process5 documents
- Application - Building Permit
- Info Sheet - How to Apply for a Building Permit Documents needed to apply for a building permit
Info Sheet - Certificate of Exemption CE-200
Instructions for obtaining and filling a CE from Workers' Compensation and/or
Disability and Paid Family Leave Benefits
- Application - Residential Structures - Utilization of Certain Constructions Notice of Utilization of Truss Type Construction, Pre-engineered Wood Construction and/or Timber Construction in Residential Structures. In accordance with Title 19 NYCRR PART 1265.
- Info Sheet - Hiring a Contractor The Building Department hopes this information will provide you valuable insight as to some do's and don't when planning a construction project for your home. It is not all inclusive as to steps you should take when hiring a contractor.
- Info Sheet - Electrical Inspection Companies All electrical installations must be installed and inspected by one of the following agencies in this document
New Home1 document
- Info Sheet - Building Permit: Construction of new home: Requirements to obtain a building permit to build a new home
- Info Sheet - Fence Installations Requirements for installing a fence
- Info Sheet - Decks Residential
- Info Sheet - Accessory Structures Residential Accessory structures include tool, garden or utility sheds, storage buildings, detached garages, pool houses, gazebos, barns and other farm buildings and other similar buildings that are incidental and subordinate to the principal building on the same lot.
Driveway, Land, and Road Work2 documents
Right of Way1 document
- Application - Right of Way Permit A "Work within the Right-of-Way Permit" must be obtained by anyone wishing to use or work within any part of the right of way of a class 3 and class 4 roadway and a separate request must be filled out for each roadway cut within the right of way.
Fill and Excavation1 document
- Application - Self Inspection of Stormwater Management Ponds Stormwater ponds are bodies of water in commercial and residential developments that collect and store stormwater runoff. These ponds improve water quality and control water quantity. Stormwater ponds reduce pollution and prevent downstream flooding. Stormwater ponds can be attractive or can become eyesores depending on how they are managed.
- Application - Short Environmental Assessment Form Responses become part of the application for approval or funding, are subject to public review, and may be subject to further verification. Complete Part 1 based on information currently available. If additional research or investigation would be needed to fully respond to any item, please answer as thoroughly as possible based on current information. (zoning)
- Application - Full Environmental Assessment Form Applicants/sponsors must complete all items in Sections A & B. In Sections C, D & E, most items contain an initial question that must be answered either "Yes" or "No". If the answer to the initial question is "Yes", complete the sub-questions that follow. If the answer to the initial question is "No", proceed to the next question. Section F allows the project sponsor to identify and attach any additional information. Section G requires the name and signature of the project sponsor to verify that the information contained in Part 1is accurate and complete.
Fuel, Fire and Open Burn8 documents
Fuel Burning Appliances4 documents
- Application - Fuel Burning Appliance Permit Includes Wood/Coal and Pellet Stove – Fireplace Insert - Generator
- Info Sheet - Gas, Wood, Coal Burning Fireplace Yes, a permit is required for fireplace inserts (gas/wood/coal). The following is a list of documents required to be submitted for a permit application:
- Info Sheet - Generator Guidelines
- Info Sheet - Fireplace Guidelines
Fuel Storage1 document
- Application - Fuel Storage Permit Fuel Storage Gas, Gasoline, Diesel, Heating Oil,
Open Burn1 document
- Info Sheet - Recreational Outdoor Fires A recreational fire is an outdoor fire not contained in an enclosed structure. A backyard fire pit is the most common example of a recreational fire. Recreational fires are a PRIVILEGE and are allowed at the discretion of the Fire Marshal provided the following guidelines are met. An inspection by the Fire Marshal is recommended before burning for the first time
Historic Preservation3 documents
- Application - Certificate of Appropriateness (Historic Districts) Use for structures within a Town historic district. Actions that require a Certificate of Appropriateness: exterior alterations, restoration, reconstruction, demolition, new construction, moving structures, any material change in exterior appearance such as windows, shutters, light fixtures, signs, sidewalks, fences, steps, paving, changes in grade, change in exterior colors, change in siding material.
- Application - Designation of a Penfield Landmark.pdf
- NYS Historic Preservation Office
- Info Sheet - Marriage Licenses - New York Frequently asked questions regarding a marriage license in the state of New York. Licenses are obtained through a local municipality.
- Info Sheet - Marriage Licenses - Town How to obtain a marriage license in the Town of Penfield
- Info - Dog Licenses The Town Clerk's Office issues dog licenses and identification tags for dogs owned by Penfield residents. There is no license application form, but copies of documents proving rabies vaccination and spay/neuter status are required to receive a license. Once a dog is licensed, the license and tag will be mailed to the owner.
- Info - DEC Hunting or Fishing License A hunter education course is required for anyone who cannot show proof that they have ever possessed a hunting license. Anyone under the age of 16 may fish without a license in New York State
- Application - MV664.1 - Parking Permit Medical Certification Accessible or Handicap Parking Permit. Submit completed form to the Town Clerk's Office. New York State Accessible parking permits are issued to individuals, not to drivers or a specific vehicle. To receive an accessible parking permit, the individual must be a resident of the Town of Penfield. Temporary Permits (red) are issued up to six months, and Permanent Permits (blue) are issued up to five years.
Planning Board Application6 documents
- Application - Administrative Site Plan Prior to submittal, applicants are required to contact the Planning Department to discuss the proposed development. Under the Code of the Town of Penfield the Planning Department can accept site plan applications for the construction of a new single family detached residential home, or other applicable site improvements that propose less than 1,000 square feet of impervious surface.
- Application - Sketch Plan Review Prior to submittal, applicants are required to contact the Planning Department to discuss the proposed development. The Planning Board will review the informal application in a public hearing and provide a letter with initial feedback, questions or concerns about the proposed development. No approvals are granted during this process.
- Application - Subdivision of Property Prior to submittal, applicants are required to contact the Planning Department to discuss the proposed development. The Town of Penfield Planning Board reviews applications for Final Subdivision approval in a formal public hearing.
- Application - Preliminary/Final Site Plan and Subdivision Review Prior to submittal, applicants are required to contact the Planning Department to discuss the proposed development. The Town of Penfield Planning Board reviews applications for Preliminary/Final Site Plan and/or Subdivision approval in a formal public hearing.
- Info Sheet - Sewer Permit Provides information on when you need a sewer permit and how to obtain one.
- Application - Sign Permit
- Info Sheet - Signage on Residential Property The Town recognizes the need for signs. The Sign ordinance is intended to allow a reasonable amount of signs so as to provide adequate information to the public without creating a cluttered environment.
- Info Sheet - Temporary Signage: Rules and Guidelines
Smoke and Carbon Monoxide2 documents
- Info Sheet - Commercial Building CO2 Guidelines Carbon monoxide (CO) detectors are now required in ALL commercial buildings in New York State, with a CO source, regardless of when the building was constructed and/or purchased, pursuant to Part 1228.4 of Title 19 NYCRR.
- Info Sheet - Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Tents and Special Events2 documents
- Application - Temporary Tent permit Tent or temporary structure that is a minimum of 400 square feet in size. Since tents are usually erected for a special occasion or event, a Temporary Event Permit Application is also required to be submitted. The following is a list of documents required to be submitted for a Temporary Tent Permit.
- Application - Temporary Event Permit A Temporary Event is any time a commercial business or establishment wishes to have an event that is not covered by their conditional use permit. Therefore a Temporary Event Permit is required. Private homeowners are not required to obtain a Temporary Event Permit for events on their personal property. However, if a personal event is to impact town wide services, such as closing a road for a block party, OR including the use of a tent 400 square feet or larger, then a Temporary Event Permit is required.
Town Board Application1 document
- Application - Town Board - Preliminary / Final Site Plan and Subdivision Review Prior to submittal, applicants are required to contact the Developmental Services Department to discuss the proposed development. The Town of Penfield Town Board reviews applications for Preliminary/Final Site Plan and/or Subdivision approval in a formal public hearing for all properties within the Four Corners (FC) District and LaSalle's Landing Development District (LLDD). The Town Board reviews Incentive Zoning requests in all zoning districts.
Zoning Board Application3 documents
- Info Sheet - Zoning Board of Appeals - Application Checklist Zoning Application Guide, MUST READ!
- Application - Zoning Variance
- Application - Zoning Area Variance Only The use of land in a manner that is not otherwise allowed by the dimensional or physical requirements of the applicable zoning regulations.