I am pleased to tell you that next year’s budget not only reduces the tax levy but also adds services where possible. The final budget is the culmination of months of work, and it addresses our services and priorities in 2023.
Reduced tax levy in 2023
Residents throughout our community continue to feel the impacts of rising inflation and the lingering effects of the pandemic. This is especially true of those on a fixed income.
With that in mind, we will be collecting less money from Town of Penfield taxpayers (tax levy) in 2023 than we did in 2022.
As I said when we began the reassessment process in early 2022, it is not the property assessment value that matters as much as the tax levy (the amount of money the Town needs to collect to meet its budget).
For the average home, currently valued at $269,000 in Penfield, the total Town tax bill is expected to be $5 less than in 2022. This amounts to paying less than $50 per month to have your roads plowed, parks maintained, and countless opportunities offered by our library and recreation departments.
Budget by the numbers
Below is a snapshot of the 2023 budget numbers:
- Tax levy decrease of approximately $37,000 for overall tax bill including special districts
- Budget is $454,959 below 2% tax cap
- Due to the 2022 town-wide reassessment process, our tax rate decreased from $2.78 per $1,000 of assessed property value to $2.10 in 2023
- Average tax bill for Town General Governmental Services for a property owner with an average valuation of $269,000 projected to be $564.66, down from $569.90 in 2022
- Total budget: $22,066,471
This was a combination of several factors:
- Greater than projected sales tax revenue (business growth)
- Reduction in debt service costs
- Careful use of our reserves
- Excellent planning by Town staff and the Town Board
Over the past several months, I received many comments from residents on how we can better serve our community. Based on your feedback, we will be improving services offered in 2023 including:
- Expanded brush drop-off services
- Evening staffing at Penfield Community Center
- Dedicated staffing at Town Hall reception area
I want to thank everyone for their assistance in creating the budget, in particular our Town Comptroller, Barbara Chirdo, for her efforts in leading the process.
Details on the 2023 Budget are available online at www.penfield.org. Should you have questions, contact the Office of the Comptroller at (585) 340-8620.
I look forward to another great year in the Town of Penfield, and I will continue working to enhance Town services while maintaining fiscal responsibility.