MS4, which ensures urbanized areas develop comprehensive stormwater management plans, seeks to mitigate the level of pollutants discharged into water bodies. Penfield falls within several watersheds, and the Town’s stormwater ultimately discharges into Irondequoit Bay and Lake Ontario. Stormwater programs implemented in Penfield improve water quality in the bay and lake resulting in environmental and recreational benefits.
MS4 programs have six elements, each of which is an area of focus in Penfield. Elements include:
- Public Education and Outreach
- Public Participation/Involvement
- Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination
- Construction Site Runoff Control
- Post-construction Runoff Control
- Pollution Prevention/Good Housekeeping
“As a Town, we value the importance of water quality and being good stewards of the environment,” said Town Engineer Mark Valentine. “Successful implementation of the MS4 program not only benefits our Town but our region as a whole.”
The Town encourages residents to learn more about stormwater programs by visiting the Town website.