Getting Started with Home Improvement Projects

A Reminder from the Building Department
Are you considering installing a pool, hot tub, deck, shed, fence, finished basement, or making other property improvements? The Town of Penfield urges you to begin by calling the Building Department at (585) 340-8636 so they can answer your questions and help get your project off to a successful start.

The Building Department will determine if your project requires any building permits, inspections, or zoning variances and support you through the process.  

As a general guide, permits are required if you want to:

  • construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure
  • install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical or plumbing system
  • install a solid fuel burning heating appliance, chimney, or flue in any dwelling unit (as regulated by New York State Building Codes)

Building permit applications are ramping up, so don’t delay. Most permits are turned around in about one week, but that may increase as we get deeper into spring. Most permits are valid for one year.

After you begin your project, town building inspectors can help ensure it complies with building and zoning codes. When you’ve finished a certificate of compliance or occupancy will be issued. 

Staff members look forward to helping you!
Visit the building department page for more information on property improvements.