Address:1960 Clark Road,
Penfield, NY 14526
The information below provides an overview of the Town's purchase of the Shadow Pines property and updates regarding current projects, meetings, and procedures aligned with the adopted Shadow Pines Master Plan.
Next Board Meeting for discussion:
Currently not posted on an agenda
The Town of Penfield takes pride in maintaining its parks and properties. Regular maintenance efforts are undertaken on the Shadow Pines property, such as tree and bush trimming, removal of dead and diseased trees, drainage projects, and a scheduled mowing plan. These measures help to reduce the presence of invasive species while promoting wildlife habitats, including those for monarch butterflies. The Town is committed to implementing an annual maintenance plan for the Shadow Pines property, ensuring a healthy and safe environment for both nature and residents to enjoy. For any inquiries, please contact Penfield's Parks Foreman Tim Masterton at (585) 340-8710 or visit the DPW Projects page
The Smart Mowing program at the Town of Penfield Shadow Pines property
You may have noticed signs on the south side of the property asking "Why the Tall Grass?" Let us explain the purpose behind these signs and the program itself.
The Smart Mowing program is an innovative initiative aimed at protecting pollinators, birds, and other wildlife while preserving the natural beauty of our community. As part of this program, we strategically mow on the property every couple of years, allowing certain areas to grow tall and flourish.
The signs asking Why the Tall Grass? are there to raise awareness and encourage understanding about our intentional decision to let the grass grow in specific locations. Here's why:
Wildlife Habitat: Allowing the grass to grow tall creates habitats that support various wildlife species. Birds, insects, and small mammals find shelter, nesting sites, and food sources within these areas. By providing a diverse habitat, we contribute to the overall health and well-being of our local wildlife.
Environmental Benefits: The Smart Mowing program reduces soil erosion and minimizes maintenance costs and environmental impact. By selectively mowing certain areas, we can preserve soil quality, retain essential nutrients, and prevent erosion. This approach also lowers fuel consumption, reduces emissions, and minimizes noise pollution associated with frequent mowing.
Biodiversity Conservation: By embracing tall grasses, we promote biodiversity and ecological resilience. A variety of plant species and wildlife thrive in these natural habitats, creating a balanced and sustainable ecosystem. This biodiversity contributes to the overall health of our environment and enhances the beauty of the landscape.
The Smart Mowing program at Shadow Pines is a testament to our commitment to sustainable land management and community stewardship. We invite you to explore the property, witness the positive impact of this approach, and appreciate the natural beauty that emerges from this unique mowing strategy.
Thank you for your support and for joining us in protecting our pollinators, birds, and other wildlife through the Smart Mowing program. Together, we can create a sustainable and thriving environment for generations to come.
Clark House and Clark Road Barn
For the latest information, use the links below:
Stay up-to-date by registering your email address to receive notifications when new information is added to this page. E-Notify
The Document Center provides easy access to public documents. Click on one of the categories below to see related documents or use the search function.
Documents sorted by SEQ in Descending Order within category
Development Projects4 documents
Phase 11 document
Phase 1 site plan map
The project entitled Shadow Pines, Phase 1 includes the proposed redevelopment of a portion of a former golf course to an approximately twenty-two-acre multi-use Town of Penfield recreation facility located at 2701 Atlantic Avenue, at the southwest corner of Whalen Road (County Road 13) and Atlantic Avenue (State Route 286) on tax parcel #124.09-1-1.
This redevelopment project will include the construction of a multi-use area consisting of a 119-space parking lot, a ±3,200 square foot main pavilion with restrooms, an additional ±800 square foot open-air pavilion, 16 pickleball courts, two playgrounds, multiple internal sidewalks and trails, and a multipurpose recreational lawn area.
Two separate driveway entrances will be constructed off Whalen Road near Atlantic Avenue to provide access to the property. A 6" waterservice will be brought into the site to service the new bathrooms along with installation of sanitary sewer facilities. Stormwater will be handled by a new facility that will be constructed along Whalen Road in compliance with NYSDEC and EPA stormwater regulations.
Town Meeting Videos (Phase 1 Discussions)3 documents
- Wednesday, May 17, 2023 Town Board Work Session Action Item
- Wednesday, May 4, 2023 Town Board Legislative Session (Discussion on Resolution 23T-119)
- Wednesday, February 22, 2023 (Town Board Work Session) Shadow Pines Site and Recreation Facilities Bid Documents
Moratorium Local Law and Advisory Committee32 documents
Local Law Documents6 documents
- Legal Notice | Adoption of Local Law 2018 (March 28, 2018) Adoption of Local Law No. 1 of 2018 which would extends a moratorium and prohibition within the Town of Penfield of redevelopment of public golf courses for a period
- Legal Notice | Public Hearing (March 21, 2018) Adopting proposed Local Law No. 1 of 2018 which would extend the moratorium and prohibition of public golf course redevelopment on real property located within the Town of Penfield
- Legal Notice | Adoption of Local Law 2017 (March 22, 2017) Adoption of Local Law No. 1 of 2017, extend a moratorium and prohibition within the Town of Penfield of redevelopment of public golf courses
- Legal Notice | Public Hearing (March 1, 2017) Local Law No.1 of 2017, to be Known as "A Local Law Extending the Moratorium and Prohibition Within the Town of Penfield of Public Golf Course Redevelopment
- Legal Notice | Adoption of Local Law 2016 (March 23, 2016) Local Law No. 1 of 2016 which would put into effect a moratorium and prohibition within the Town of Penfield of public golf course redevelopment on real property located within the Town of Penfield
- Legal Notice | Public Hearing (March 2, 2016) Adopting proposed Local Law No. 1 of 2016 which would put into effect a moratorium and prohibition within the Town of Penfield of public golf course redevelopment on real property located within the Town of Penfield
Shadow Pines / Lake Community Advisory Committee3 documents
- VIDEOS: Shadow Lake / Shadow Pines Community Advisory Committee Meetings YouTube Playlist of video recordings regarding the Committee
- Final Committee Report Submitted on September 2, 2016
- Shadow Lake / Shadow Pines Community Advisory Committee Charge The purpose of the Shadow Lake/Shadow Pines Community Advisory Committee is to identify and review all land-use options for both properties and report findings and prioritized recommendations to the Penfield Town Board.
Town Meeting Videos (Moratorium Discussions)22 documents
- Wednesday, March 6, 2019 Town Board Resolution 19T-085
- Wednesday, February 20, 2019 Town Board Public Hearing (Extension of the Moratorium)
- Wednesday, January 16, 2019 Town Board Resolution 19T-066: Setting a Public Hearing
- Wednesday, March 28, 2018 Town Board Resolution 18T-089: Extension of Moratorium
- Wednesday, March 21, 2018 Town Board Public Hearing (Extension of the Moratorium)
- Wednesday, March 7, 2018 Town Board Resolution 18T-083: Setting a Public Hearing
- Wednesday, January 17, 2018 Town Board Resolutions 18T-064, 065, 066 (Bond Vote)
- Wednesday, December 20, 2017 Town Board Resolution 17T-222 (Phase II Environmental Assessment)
- Wednesday, November 15, 2017 Town Board Resolution 17T-208 (Negative Declaration for Proposed Acquisition)
- Wednesday, November 8, 2017 Town Board Resolution 17T-201 (Financial Consultant)
- Wednesday, November 1, 2017 Town Board Resolution 17T-196 (Bond Counsel and Environmental Counsel)
- Wednesday, October 11, 2017 Town Board Resolutions 17T-182 & 183 (SEQRA for Acquisition)
- Wednesday, March 22, 2017 Town Board Resolutions 17T-081 (Local Law Extending the Moratorium)
- Wednesday, March 1, 2017 Town Board Public Hearing (Extension of the Moratorium)
- Wednesday, February 1, 2017 Town Board Resolution 17T-058 (Setting Public Hearing Moratorium Extension)
- Wednesday, August 17, 2016 Town Board Resolution (16T-184 Market Value Appraisal)
- Wednesday, April 20, 2016 Town Board Resolution 16T-111 (Facilitation Services)
- Wednesday, April 6, 2016 Town Board Resolution 16T-094 (Shadow Pines / Lake Community Advisory Committee Appointments)
- Wednesday, March 23, 2016 Town Board Resolution 16T-085 (Local Law Moratorium)
- Wednesday, March 2, 2016 Town Board Public Hearing (Moratorium Local Law)
- Wednesday, February 24, 2016 Town Board Work Session (Committee Framework)
- Wednesday, February 3, 2016 Town Board Resolution 16T-062 (Setting Public Hearing - Local Law Moratorium)
Land-Use Committee6 documents
- Shadow Pines Land-Use Advisory Committee Final Report Submitted April 17, 2019
- Press Release: Public Information Meeting The Town of Penfield's Shadow Pines Land Use Advisory Committee will host a Public Information Meeting on Tuesday, November 13 at 7:00 PM
- Appointments to Shadow Pines Land-Use Advisory Committee To study future uses for the recently purchased Shadow Pines Golf Course property
Town Meeting Videos / Committee Meetings3 documents
Conceptual Master Plan14 documents
- Shadow Pines Existing Conditions Map
- RFP for Shadow Pines Property Conceptual Master Plan
- Shadow Pines Conceptual Master Plan Final Report
- Shadow Pines Conceptual Master Plan Map
- Shadow Pines Conceptual Master Plan Presentation
- Shadow Pines Mountain Bike Area Potential Partners Memo
- Shadow Pines Updated Concept Sketch
Meeting Videos7 documents
- Wednesday, August 19, 2020 Town Board Resolution 20T-153 Acceptance of the Conceptual Master Plan
- Wednesday, July 8, 2020 Town Board Work Session
- Wednesday, June 10, 2020 Town Board Work Session
- Wednesday, May 13, 2020 Town Board Work Session
- Wednesday, March 11, 2020 Public Information Meeting - Conceptual Master Plan for the Shadow Pines Property
- Wednesday, February 19, 2020 Town Board Resolution 20T-081 (Setting Public Info Meeting)
- Wednesday, November 6, 2019 Town Board Resolution 19T-196 (Prepare Conceptual Master Plan)
Presentations (Videos)2 documents
- Shadow Pines Celebration - Plaque Recognition September 24, 2022
- Perspective and Process - Shadow Pines Land-Use Update Community Lecture sponsored by the Penfield Trails Committee. Town Staff update on the process of Shadow Pines, one-year following the referendum vote.
About Shadow Pines
The Shadow Pines Property is approximately 212 acres in size and is located generally at the southwest of the Atlantic Avenue and Whalen Road intersection. The property is transected by Clark Road, providing two distinct areas within the overall site, Shadow Pines North and Shadow Pines South. The northern portion occupies approximately 99 acres and the southern portion of the site 113 acres.
The Property is a unique open space asset, centered in the southwestern part of the town of Penfield. Formerly Shadow Pines Golf Course, the land was purchased by the Town of Penfield in 2018 for general municipal use, after the golf course had ceased operation in 2016. Voters had overwhelmingly approved the purchase via a public referendum in February of 2018. The vote indicated that residents desire that the land be preserved as recreational or natural open space.
After purchase, the Town Board appointed a committee of residents to provide recommendations for the best possible use of this property. The committee, known as the Shadow Pines Land Use Advisory Committee, compiled its recommendations in a final report in 2019. Recommendations took into account the recommendations of the Moratorium Committee, the 2020 Comprehensive Plan, residents, and Town staff.
The engineering and landscape architecture firm BME Associates was hired to develop a Conceptual Master Plan for the Property based on recommendations of the Shadow Pines Land Use Advisory Committee.
BME Associates, the consultant that the town utilized for the design of the new parking area and future pickleball courts, has completed the design plans and has submitted them to the agencies for review and approval. These agencies included the Monroe County Department of Transportation, the Monroe County Water Authority, the Monroe County Department of Environmental Services, and the Monroe County Health Department. Once all the comments are received and the plans finalized for approvals, bid specifications will be prepared in order to put the construction job out for a public bid.
- Disc Golf Course - Open (9/2022)
- Pickleball Courts - Under Review
- Mountain Biking - Under Review
- Clark House - Under Review
- Clark Road Barn - Under Review
Members of the Penfield community gathered at Shadow Pines (600 Whalen Road) in Penfield on Saturday, September 24, 2022, for a celebration of the Shadow Pines property.
The Town bought Shadow Pines in 2018 after Penfield voters approved the purchase of the property, which was previously home to Shadow Pines Golf Club. Over the past several years, the Town has been crafting a master plan for the 212 acres of land with input from the community.
The celebration offered a chance to highlight the property and all that it offers. A plaque was unveiled to recognize the purpose of the land and its significance. Penfield Town Supervisor Marie Cinti and Donna Spinella, representing Friends of Shadow Pines spoke about the opportunities Shadow Pines provides.
Numerous community groups had booths set up to demonstrate activities that can be enjoyed at Shadow Pines, and a guided hike was held.
Current uses and/or those under development or consideration for the property include:
- Open Space
- Mountain biking
- Sports fields and pickleball courts
- Disc Golf
Video: Shadow Pines Celebration and Plaque Dedication