December 9, 2020 Update:
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 public health crisis and the recently enacted Updated Operating Protocols for all courts:
VEHICLE & TRAFFIC: All in-person traffic court is CANCELED until further notice. You will be notified by mail of a reschedule date as soon as the court is able to begin rescheduling.
CRIMINAL MATTERS – 1st Appearance: If you have received an appearance ticket for a misdemeanor or violation appear as directed unless notified by the court that your matter has been postponed. Please call the court to confirm if your appearance is required.
CRIMINAL MATTERS – Returning Matters: The court is currently only able to hear in-person first appearances. Your appearance has been adjourned until further notice. Please contact your attorney with any questions or concerns and to confirm the status of your case.
Please provide our office with up to date contact information to be sure we can notify you of your new court date.
PAYMENTS: All payment due dates are extended until further notice.
SMALL CLAIMS: As of 11/18/20 the Court is not accepting small claims filings. We are unable to conduct small claims hearings until further notice.
EVICTIONS: The Court is accepting eviction filings. As of 9/3/20 all evictions are transferred to County Court to the Special COVID Intervention Part.
PAYMENTS: All payment due dates are extended until further notice.
The court clerk window remains open for in-person transactions during normal business hours. Masks are required.
Judge Metzler’s clerk: Elyse Voigt 585-340-8723
Judge Mulley’s clerk: Terri Rider 585-340-8624
Court email: firstname.lastname@example.org
IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, YOU MAY:
1) CONTACT YOUR ATTORNEY
2) GO TO www.nycourts.gov
3) CALL THE NY COURTS HOTLINE 1-833-503-0447
The Penfield Town Court resolves more than 6,000 cases per year consisting primarily of criminal matters, vehicle and traffic violations, civil proceedings, and small claims.
Court personnel includes two judges, two full-time clerks, and one part-time clerk.
Penfield Town Court Justices are:
- The Honorable Paula Metzler
- The Honorable James P. Mulley, Jr.
Arraignments for criminal and traffic/vehicle court:
- The Honorable Paula Metzler. presides the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month, and
- The Honorable James P. Mulley, Jr. presides the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of the month
Please call the Court Clerk for dates and times for evictions, civil, and other matters.
Town Justices will officiate marriages by appointment. Please call the Court Clerk for more information.
Marriage licenses are available through the Town Clerk’s Office (585) 340-8629.
Small Claims Court
Small Claims Court is an informal court where individuals ages 18 and older can bring a civil complaint for monetary damages up to $3,000. A lawyer is not required to file a small claims case. To bring a small claims case in Penfield, the defendant (person being sued) must live, work, or have a place of business within the municipality of Penfield.
NOTE: Corporations, partnerships, associations and assignees cannot sue in small claims court, although they can be sued there.
- $10 for claims up to $1,000
- $15 for claims over $1,000 to a maximum of $3,000
Fees must be paid in person using cash, money order, or credit card (MasterCard or Visa).
Filing must be done in person during regular business hours.
You will need to provide a brief written description of your complaint, the address of the defendant, and pay the filing fee. A Court Clerk will assist you with the necessary procedures, set a hearing date, and serve the defendant by mail.
Learn more: Small Claims Handbook: www.nycourts.gov/courthelp/pdfs/smallclaimshandbook.pdf
How to pay a fine
- Fines may be paid with cash, credit cards, money orders, certified bank checks, or attorney checks (made payable to Penfield Town Court). Personal checks are NOT accepted.
- Credit cards (Visa or MasterCard) may be used in person or online (the Court does not accept credit card payments by phone).
- When a credit card is used in person, a 2.99% service fee is added to all payments. Please note that neither the Court nor the municipality receives any portion of the service fee.
- To use a credit card online use the appropriate link to GovPayNet below. A convenience fee will be added to all payments.
- You must know the name of the Judge who was assigned to your case and the amount due. Please call the Court Clerk if you do not know this information.
- To pay a fine under Judge Paula C. Metzler, use Pay Location Code #9536 – www.govpaynow.com/gps/user/plc/9536
- To pay a fine under Judge Mulley, Jr., use Pay Location Code #9537 – www.govpaynow.com/gps/user/plc/9537
Please contact the Court Clerk if you would like to arrange a payment plan.
Q: I received a traffic ticket, what do I do now?
A: You have three options:
- Plead guilty by mail (Section A of your ticket). Provide your printed name, CURRENT ADDRESS including zip code, date, and your signature. A fine and surcharge will be imposed by the Judge and you will be notified by mail, with payment instructions; or
- Plead not guilty by mail (Section B of your ticket). Provide your printed name, CURRENT ADDRESS including zip code, date, and your signature. A new court date will be mailed to you. At this court date you will be scheduled for a conference with the Assistant District Attorney assigned to Penfield Town Court; or
- Personally appear on the court date stated on the face of your ticket (located at the lower left corner of your ticket). The Assistant District Attorney will screen your ticket at that date and time.
Q: I received a parking ticket, what do I do now?
A: You have two options:
- Plead guilty by mail. Simply print your name and CURRENT ADDRESS on the envelope and mail in the fine amount. The fine amount and violation is on the face on the ticket envelope (personal checks are NOT accepted, see “How to pay a fine” above); or
- Personally appear on the date set on the ticket. At this appearance you may speak with the Judge; however, the trial will not be held that night, as the ticketing officer will not be present. A future trial court date will be set.
Parking tickets are issued in the town of Penfield by the Monroe County Sheriff's Department or a parking monitor. The amount of the fine and the violation is on the face of the ticket (envelope).
ph: (585) 340-8623
fx: (585) 586-0491
Clerk to the Honorable Paula C. Metzler: (585) 340-8723
Clerk to the Honorable James. P. Mulley, Jr.: (585) 340-8624
Penfield Community Center
1985 Baird Road
Penfield, NY 14526
The only entrance to Penfield Town Court is on the northwest corner of the Penfield Community Center (cemetery side). There is no access to the courts through the community center.
Regular office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM. (The office may be closed from 1:00 to 2:00 PM for the lunch hour.) Please note these hours may vary on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings when Court is in session.
Please call the Court Clerk if you have questions regarding your court date and time.