To ensure your safety, any time a solicitor comes to your door wanting you to purchase something or requesting a donation, please ask for their business ID and their Town of Penfield issued permit. (view active list)
Door-to-door solicitation is defined as any attempt to make personal contact with a resident at his or her residence, without prior specific invitation by or appointment with the resident, for the primary purpose of:
- Seeking or asking for a gift or donation for a public entity or tax-exempt nonprofit organization exempt from federal income tax under 26 U.S.C. 501(c)(3);
- Soliciting the sale of goods, wares or merchandise for present or future delivery, or the sale of services to be performed immediately or in the future, with the entire proceeds of such sale to be paid directly to, or used exclusively for the benefit of, a public entity or tax exempt nonprofit organization exempt from federal income tax under 26 U.S.C. 501(c)(3);
- Personally delivering to the resident a flyer advertising a future, not-for-profit event, activity, good or service;
- Proselytizing on behalf of a religious organization;
- Soliciting the sale of newspaper or magazine subscriptions.
- Never pay or donate cash.
If a solicitor does not have a permit, please call 911 non-emergency and contact the Town Clerk's office with any information you have about the solicitor.
- Each permitted solicitor must carry a copy of the selling permit and have a Company issued photo ID badge.
- A non-commercial solicitor is a public entity (schools, government) or a non-profit organization exempt from Federal income tax under 26 U.S.C. 501 (c)(3).
- No advertisements may be left at a residence which has a "No Soliciting" or "No Trespassing" sign.
- Hours of Solicitation for Permitted Solicitors are 10:00 AM until dusk
Selling Permit Application
To obtain fee information and a Selling Permit application please contact the Town Clerk at (585) 340-8629, the completed application will need to be submitted with the following items:
- A copy of the applicant’s Driver’s License, both front and back
- A color passport size photo of the applicant (2” by 2” Color)
- If the applicant resides outside of Monroe County a background check would need to be included. For residents within Monroe County the Town Clerk will obtain the background check
Active Selling Permits